Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ellesmere Island

So as some of you know I'm now working for Parks Canada, and one of the perks of a government job is traveling. Some times its for meetings, other times its for research, or to take photos of certain parks where we're doing displays, ads, what ever. I've already started looking through our parks list trying to figure out excuses to visit the ones I'm interested in, then I came across Ellesmere Island! Yes at the most northern point of our country there is a national reserve, apparently it gets anywhere from 2 to 8 visitors a year (researchers and photographers by the looks of it). I also came across some not so fun facts about the park. At the time of it's creation for any area to be considered part of a country it needed to have a settlement of that country's people, not having any Canadian settlements in the area the clever politicians of the time decided naming the area as a "natural reserve park" in order to expand the country's borders. Later in the 60s this was questioned by an international body and the politicians of the time decided to kidnap an entire Inuit tribe from northern Quebec and "relocate" them to Ellesmere Island, given the Inuit's resourcefulness and exceptional fishing skills they would surely thrive. This was not the case.

Any how the bleak stuff aside I found some sweet photos of the area, it looks fucking amazing. Cold, but still fucking amazing! I just cant possibly figure out any scenario which would justify me taking a trip up to Ellesmere, but man its a part of the world not many get to see... cuz its so fucking cold.




3 comments:

dontcallmeradio91 said...

It reminds me of that episode of Survivor Man when he spent a week in the arctic. You can spend some time hunting polar bears and clubbing seals!!

Unknown said...

survivor man is my hero

*********************** said...

You wanna her bleak, look up some stuff about Cypress hills and Batoche.