Saturday, February 2, 2008

Holodeck vs. The Matrix

Something I though about over breakfast:

As we all know, one creates a virtual world around you, the other creates a virtual world in your mind.

Besides the slightly invasive probe that goes into the back of your skull to enter the matrix, which do you think would win if say, Sony made the holodeck, and Hitachi made the matrix?

Oh yeah, and pretend that the matrix wasn't a battery farm controlled by evil robots, but strictly for pleasure, or at the very least, we're all as kick ass as Neo.

I'm sure we've already had this conversation years ago, but thought I'd throw it out there again.

I think I'd go with the holodeck, you can create any world imaginable, but you're in it while in your body... something comforting about that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except if you're well-versed in your Star Trek Next Generation episodes, the holodeck malfunctioned every second week, trapping you inside to face your doom. At least with the Matrix you can get to a phone and get the hell out-- and you can do things that aren't physically possible with your real body. So my vote is with the Matrix.

*********************** said...

yeah, but the holodeck has safety protocols. I don't think there are any of those in the Matrix.

dontcallmeradio91 said...

My vote would probably be for the holodeck. The matrix is kinda like a lsd trip while sleeping. I'd kinda wanna be awake while I battle tribbles in a roman collesium.

mattw said...

Lady J, you make 2 very good points, however, if the holodeck can create any world imaginable, then you could probably create one that didn't obey the typical laws of our world... like gravity for instance... I could create a world that had a gravitational pull small enough to allow me to leap tall buildings and run up the side of walls. Thankfully I don't live in a Science Fiction Drama series either, so I dont' think the holodeck would malfunction for every 'episode' of my life... So far 4 to 1 holodeck...

sir_fresh said...

I'm gonna go against the family here and say Matrix. I've seen a lot of star trek and one thing I haven't seen in the holodeck is the ability to change yourself while leaving the world around you as it is. I'm talking same world, same laws of physics, same gravity, so the stars, sun and galaxies all look exactly the same, but I am a 20 foot robot flying through space faster than the speed of light (some how by bending the "rules") traveling to the heart of the milky way where I can stand 600,000 miles over the super massive black hole there (without getting sucked in) and watch matter fall into it, all the while feeling the clouds of hydrogen as they pass over me.

I don't think I've seen the holodeck do that (oddly enough the "real" world in star trek allows you to hover over a black hole or some huge ass star, but thats in a ship and its not the same as actually floating there). Besides it seems like with a holodeck every thing would be based on some science, if you wanna leap over buildings you have to reduce the gravity buy just the right amount, too little gravity and it could change the way the clouds look, or if you reduce over all gravity by mistake you couldn't have solid formations like planets, or the the ground. You can t just fly.

With the Matrix the only limit really is your imagination, your not bound by silly things like the laws of nature. Also in a crazy dream like matrix world, couldn't you just make a holodeck? I close the door to my closet, open it again and boom there's a holodeck there.

I don't know, maybe the holodeck can do more and the righters aren't being imaginative enough with it, for some reason the only uses for it on the show seem to be to a) role play in some classic human story or b) visit a smoky jazz club where you can hit on trampy looking 90s chicks with huge hair.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been thinking about this all weekend and as some of you know solipsism is somewhat near and dear to my heart so I'm gonna go with the matrix.

sir_fresh said...

correction to above comment, 3rd paragraph 2n'd line "you're not". I have a pet peeve with your and you're.

Anonymous said...

So we are assuming that we know how to bend the rules of the Matrix like Neo? The Matrix and the Holodeck are the same thing essentially, the only difference is that one plugs into the back of your head, and the other is in a defined area of space on a starship. Both are just computer programs, any limitations are limitations of the program. Neo could somehow do whatever he wanted within the Matrix, but that was not a functionality of the computer program the Matrix, but his special ability. The holodeck seemed to be specifically "non-real" it was built for cheesy implausible fantasies for the crew members to escape reality with, whereas the Matrix was meant to behave as a real world. So I guess we are changing things a bit and saying that we are making programs to specify what we can do activities differently from other characters in the Matrix. This would also be easier for the user to get used to (as opposed to being Neo) as you could choose which programs to access. (ie) I want to be a flying ninja but this wouldn't allow you to walk through walls or possess other characters bodies. Okay, rambling- still sticking with the Matrix vote.

Dash Bradley said...

well, here's one use for the holodeck that was never addressed on star trek: sex! In matrix land I'm still just me, albeit a me that can jump twenty feet in the air and roundhouse kick you into next week (which I imagine would be beneficial on the dating scene), so i figure you'd still have to go thru the plain old courtship rigamorole as we do in day to day life. You're dealing with other real people with their own thoughts and opinions blah blah blah. Not so in the holodeck, where one can indulge their sick- fuck fantasies. Just vile, vile fantasies. Oh my lord.
That being said, being able to interact with other real people, but with the ability to, as mentioned above, roundhouse kick them into next week, would also be awesome. I'm torn on this one.