Does anyone remember this?
It's a Canadian animated film from 1983 called 'Rock and Rule.' I saw it when I as a kid and, for some reason, it's stayed with me ever since; although I did not see it again until recently. The story takes place in a post apocalyptic world populated by mutant rats and dogs. Mok (the shadowy figure in the above clip) is an aging, emaciated rock legend, akin to Keith Richards or Iggy Pop, who is trying to summon a demon during a concert to kill his fans, as revenge for his poor record sales. Angel, the blonde rat -woman in the clip, has the voice Mok needs to complete the ritual, hence the flashing ring.
Despite the fact that it was a canadian animated film, such musicians as Lou Reed, Iggy Pop (ironically), Cheap Trick and Earth, Wind and Fire contributed original songs. In fact, that's Debbie Harry, of Blondie, singing in the clip.
It's a very strange movie, and the dialogue seems as if it was written in a foreign language and then translated, though I know that's not the case. I'm not sure if I can recommend it to anyone who has not had the song featured in the clip playing in their head for fifteen fucking years, as I have.
Oh, in case you were wondering, in the clip the taciturn fellow with the red hair storms off because he's upset at Angel's insistence on playing her song. By the end, after Mok summons his demon, the only way to send the demon back is for them to sing the song together:
Proving once again, the fifth element is love.
Thursday, May 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I remember seeing this (and several other cartoons of the same era) on bravo, and thinking what in the hell is this!
I'm pretty sure that even when I saw it as a kid I was thinking: "What the hell is this?"
Post a Comment