Friday, July 27, 2007

Your assistance please.

Hello All,
My friend Kathy from Victoria is moving to Winnipeg in, of all times, January. I am making her a map of Winnipeg with all the 'cool' places I think she needs to know about. It would be great if you could tell me the places and things that you think are essential for someone to know so that they like Winnipeg and Manitoba. Also some specific places I would like are organic grocery stores and restaurants, and if anyone knows of a 'environmentally and human safe'?? mosquito repellent. She has lived in Victoria for the last 10 years and I want to make sure she doesn't have a nervous breakdown when she arrives in -30 Winnipeg January because she is going to be there for 4 years as her boyfriend is getting his PhD at U of M. Also any Winnipeg quirks that you can think of. Oh I can tell this is going to make me more homesick but it will be fun!
Thanks in advance,
Shereen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shereen,

Your friend will be homesick, but she sounds like a hippy, so maybe she should try to live in Wolesley? As for organics, there's Organza at Confusion Corner, where the Dandelion (organic) restaurant also is. Bread and Circuses on Corydon and Lilac and Tall Grass Prairie (Wolesley/the Forks)are also good for organic/vegan meals and Vita Health on Osborne, or eatit.ca are good places for local organic groceries. I've tried a lot of natural mosquito repellants that don't work, but the citronella based repellant from MEC actually works pretty well. Other hippy hangouts.... Mondragon, and any store in Wolesley (Organic Planet, Brave New World, Humboldt's Legacy)... She'll do fine. But I recommend getting a full-length down-filled winter coat! I thought I was going to die my first winter here. She must really love this guy! Hope you are having fun in Vancouver Shereen, but I also hope you come back here some day! Take Care!

Shereen said...

Thank you Jackie! I think that they are going to live in Osborne Village for the first while. They may buy a house after a while because they can't believe how cheap the houses are in Winnipeg. Her boyfriend has already lived in Winnipeg before for school but she has never been there, and the things they complain about here, I think she might be in for a shock. But I want her to like it there because I think it is a much better place to live than here, unless you are a multi millionaire and don't mind trying to keep up with every stupid trend like people here don't seem to mind doing. She is actually only hippie in her eating habits and environmental friendliness. She works in an organic clothing store in Victoria, but it isn't a hippie store, they have lots of really nice modern things. www.notjustpretty.com If you go to the website she is the one on the right. I met her through school. She has lived in Ottawa but that was a long time ago and I always thought Winnipeg was colder. Also if you can think of any fun hang out places and shopping places that you think she should know about. Or places she could get a job related to fashion, but not the cheezy kind. I know I am asking lots of questions but I figure it's good to get lots of different opinions so there is no possibility of her not liking Winnipeg.

Dash Bradley said...

I've got to second Jackie on Wolseley, but the Village would be a close second. If she is going to spend any time downtown, especially in winter, a thorough knowledge of the sky walk is essential for spending a minimal time outside. This is nerdy, but I always thought winnipeg had a pretty kick-ass museum. If she's into movies, make sure she knows about the cinematheque and the globe. The cinematheque is, actually, a horrible theatre, but they do show good movies. Also, make sure she knows that if she ever gets into any trouble, just to say that her cousin is in the Manitoba Warriors. that always works.

*********************** said...

Jackie will hate we, but Safeway also sells organic food. I got this naturapel stuff it seems to work pretty good as far as mosquitos and blackflies go.

The trick to the cold is.....wait for it....Layers! Seriously. I get through most winters with a windbreaker and a hoodie, though I am pretty acustomed to this climate.

There are a ton of independant clothing stores all over the exchange and the village, if she's looking a job, she should try;

Candy and Dolls, Anticipation,
Mix Tape, Kustom Kulture, TUB, Urban Bakery, Brave New World, Chic, Connect Four, Hempyrean, Hush, Stulka, Loka, Paramix and a bunch others I can't think of.

Unfortunately, January really isn't the time to be wandering around the city for any extended perion of time.

FYI... The Hells Angels took out the Manitoba Warriors.